Thursday, October 30, 2014

Reasoning Quiz

Directions (1-5): Each question below is followed by two statements I and II. You are to determine whether the data given in the statement is sufficient to answer the question. You should use the data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose between the possible answers. 

Give answer—
(1) If the statement I alone is sufficient to answer the question, but the statement II alone is not sufficient.
(2) If the statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question, but the statement I alone is not sufficient.
(3) If either the statement I alone or the statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question.
(4) If you cannot get the answer from the statements I and II together, but need more data.
(5) If both statements I and II together are needed to answer the question.


1. What does ‘ki’ means, in a code language?
I. ‘lo ki phi chi’ means ‘childrens are really cute’.
II. ‘tee phi chi lo’ means ‘cute childrens are naughty’.

2. How is Jhalak related to X?
I. X is the father of Kush, who is Jhalak’s son.
II. X is Jhalak’ son

3. Six persons P, Q, R, S, T and V are sitting around a table. Who is sitting opposite to S?
I. R is not sitting opposite to S.
II. P is sitting opposite Q.

4. Who is the tallest among A, B, C and D?
I. A is shorter than B, who is taller than C and D.
II. B is taller than A, and C, while D is shorter than A.

5. What is the direction of Prem from Vishal? 
I. Prem is towards south of Rishi.
II.  Prem, Ajay, Vijay, Vishal, Vivek and Akash are standing along a straight line and Prem is at the extreme right while Vivek is at the extreme left.

Directions (6-10): In making decisions about important questions, it is desirable to be able to distinguish between ‘strong’arguments and ‘weak’arguments. ‘Strong’ arguments are those which are both important and directly related to the question. ‘Weak’ arguments are those which are of minor importance and also may not be directly related to the question or may be related to a trivial aspect of the question.

Instructions: In each of the following a question is followed by two arguments numbered I and II. You have to decide which argument is strong and which argument is weak. 

Give answer
(1) if only argument I is strong.
(2) if only argument II is strong.
(3) if either argument I or II is strong. 
(4) if neither argument I nor II is strong. 
(5) if both the arguments I and II are strong.

6. Statement: Should India develop a national water grid by connecting all the rivers in the country?
Arguments:
I. No, this is just not possible as we do not have the technical knowhow.
II. Yes, this will greatly help the entire country by effectively channellising the excess water to the areas having shortage.

7. Statement: Should there be Board examination at the end of Std. IV for all the students in India?
Arguments:
I.  No, this will unnecessarily burden the children at their tender age and hamper normal growth,
II. Yes, in today’s competitive world the children need to be prepared right from the beginning to face such difficult examinations.

8. Statement: Should India create a huge oil reserve like some western countries to face difficult situations in future?
Arguments:
I. No, there is no need to block huge amount of foreign exchange and keep the money idle.
II. Yes, this will help India withstand shocks of sudden rise in oil prices due to unforeseen circumstances.

9. Statement: Should the parents of those children who do not send their wards to school be fined?
Arguments:
I. Yes, this is the only way to eradicate illiteracy.
II. No, why should the parents be fined?

10. Statement: Should there be a total ban on all tobacco products in India?
Arguments:
I. No, this will render a large number of people jobless.
II. No, the government will lose huge amount of money as it will not earn by way of taxes on these products.


ANSWERS
Solutions (1-5)

1. 5

2. 1;
From II. Jhalak gender is not clear may be father or mother.
From I. Jhalak is wife of X.

3. 4; Statement I eliminates R, while statement II eliminates P and Q, we are not sure whether it is T or V.

4. 3;
From I. B > A and B > C and D
B is tallest
From II. A > D and B > A, C
So , B > D also
B is tallest.

5. 4;
Using Statement I:
Rishi ---> Prem
Name of Vishal is not even mentioned, so we cannot determine the direction.
Using Statement II:
The direction of Prem from Vishal will depend which side they are facing and if they are standing from West to East or Morth to South. So, a unique direction cannot be determined. Four arrangements are possible.
Using both statements together:
Four arrangement are possible:
Arrangement I:
Vivek
Rishi
Vishal
Prem
Face --->

Arrangement II:
Rishi
Prem
Vishal
Vivek
Face <---

Arrangement III:
Face (Upward)  Vivek      Vishal      Prem

Arrangement IV:
Face (Downward)     Prem      Vishal      Vivek
(Rishi's position is not mentioned in the straight line.)

Solutions (6-10)

6. 2;
7. 4;
8. 2;
9. 4;
10. 5


No comments: