Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Reasoning Quiz

Directions (1-5): Study the following information carefully to answer the questions given below it—

Seven officers L, M, N, P, Q, R and S work in three different shifts I, II and III with at least two persons working in each shift. Each one of them has a different weekly off from Monday to Sunday not necessarily in the same order. M works in second shift only with R whose weekly off is on Friday. Q's weekly off is on the next day of L's weekly off and both of them work in different shifts. P works in third shift and his weekly off is on Saturday. S has a weekly of on Monday and he works in first shift. The one who has weekly off on Sunday works in first shift. L and P do not work in the same shift, L's weekly off is on Tuesday.


1. Whose weekly off falls on Thursday?
(1) L
(2) N
(3) Q    
(4) Cannot be determined
(5) None of these

2. Which of the following combinations of shift, person and weekly off is definitely correct?
(1) II, M, Sunday
(2) III, N, Sunday
(3) II, P, Sunday
(4) I, L, Tuesday
(5) None of these

3. Whose weekly off is on Sunday?
(1) L
(2) M
(3) N
(4) Q
(5) None of these

4. On which day is Q's weekly off?
(1) Tuesday
(2) Wednesday
(3) Sunday
(4) Cannot be determined
(5)None of these

5. Which of the following group of officers work is shift I?
(1) L, N, S
(2) L, S
(3) N, S
(4) L, P, Q
(5) None of these

Directions (6 - 10): Each of the questions below consists of a question, followed by two statements numbered I and II. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. Read both the statements and give the answer
1) If the data in Statement I alone is sufficient to answer the question, while the data in Statement II alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
2) If the data in Statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question, while the data in Statement I alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
3) If the data given in Statement I alone or in Statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question.
4) If the data given in both the Statements I and II together is not sufficient to answer the question.
5) If the data in both the Statements I and II together is necessary to answer the question.

6. Is N a prime number?
I. N=1
II. N=2

7. Is A the tallest boy among three boys A, B and C?
I. A is taller than atleast one out of B and C.
II. B is taller than atleast one out of A and C.

8. What is rank of a girl named Ritu amongst all the girls, in a class of 45 students?
I. The number of boys and girls in class are in ratio 2:3.
II. Ritu is ranked 10th in the class and there are 6 boys ranked before her. 

9. Who among A, B, C, D and E finished last in a test?
I. C got more marks than B and D but less marks than A and E.
II. B got more marks than D. 

10. In the code language what is the code for ‘HOME’?
I. In the code language ‘HOME SWEET HOME’ is written as ‘LO LO MO’.
II. In the same code language ‘HOME SICK’ is written ‘KO LO’.


Solutions
OFFICER
SHIFT
WEEKLY OFF
L
I
Tuesday
M
II
Thursday
N
I
Sunday
P
III
Saturday
Q
III
Wednesday
R
II
Friday
S
I
Monday

1. (5)
2. (4)
3. (3)
4. (2)
5. (1)
6. (3)
Using statement I, we get N=1, which is not a prime number. So, statement I is sufficient to answer the question.
Using statement II, we get N=2, which is a prime number. So, statement II is sufficient to answer the question.
7. (4)
Since, the order of A, B and C is not defined, we cannot say whether A is tallest or not.
8. (2)
Using statement I, we can find the number of boys and girls but nothing is given about Ritu’s rank. So, statement I is not sufficient alone.
Using statement II, we can say that Ritu is ranked 10th in class and since only 6 boys are ranked before her, so there are 3 girls ranked before her. Hence, her rank among girls will be 4th. So, statement II alone is sufficient.
9. (5)
Using statement I, we get that C got more marks than B and D but less than A and E. So, either of B or D scored least marks. So, statement I alone is not sufficient.
Using statement II, B got more marks than D.
Combining both statements, we get D got least marks.
10.(1) From statement I, we can see that HOME is coded as LO.


No comments: